Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Faith, Hope, & Love





"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
I Corinthians 13:13
2 Wonderful examples found at Morning Glory Collects, a fabulous resource for learning about antique and vintage jewelry

Some of the greatest "things" in life are those which we cannot hold in the palm of our hand. As an antiques dealer, I am constantly coming across fabulous items. An early piece of ephemera, a faded velvet bag, colorful majolica - The list goes on. One thing I have to be careful of is to remember that these things are just that - only things. People and the memories we create with them are what make this existence worthwhile. An early Victorian pinchbeck piece that I sold last year on Rubylane. Pinchbeck is a copper and zinc substitute for gold -- A fabulous and collectible metal in its own right.

The Victorians were very sentimental and created meaningful jewelry to represent this characteristic. To remind them of what really matters, they created fabulous pieces pertaining to a rewarding life. The faith, hope, and love motif is one such example. Every time I come across these charms, I jump at the chance to own them. They are very special and a wonderful little memento.
A wonderful mother of pearl & coral example that I currently have for sale at the shop.


For this week's Vintage Thingy Thursday, I wanted to share this mother of pearl and coral example that I recently found. The hand is especially interesting as I've never seen one representing this idea.

Don't forget to visit the other participants of this week's challenge. I promise you won't be disappointed!