Thursday, April 22, 2010

Snake Charmer

During the 19th century, snake motifs were viewed as fashionable, so much so that Queen Victoria's engagement ring from Albert was a snake with an emerald-set head. Throughout London, women could be seen wearing serpent rings, serpents entwined around their arms, and serpents coiled on their brooches.

Circa 1840, this piece is a lovely example of this custom. I bought this locket for myself several years ago but decided to sell it on Rubylane. How exciting that I sold it the very first day I listed it! It's such a nice surprise to know that someone out there loves your things as much as you do.

In addition to sharing my locket for Vintage Thingy Thursday (for which I was incredibly late!), I wanted to post some cards for Postcard Friendship Friday. I purchased this lovely piece of ephemera from the markets of Paris. I decided to scan the back of it too just because it was so romantic - The script makes this postcard very special indeed- How very sweet!

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

ps- Store updates: Well, I'm finding more furniture to fill up the spaces on the show floor. But a dear friend told me there is too much brown so something must be done about that! Color here we come ... The walls are also bare so I must find some wonderful frames and pictures to brighten up the room. I'd like to also hang some quilts on the walls for both texture and color. I'll try and take some pictures to share with everyone- I'm just a little embarrassed because it doesn't look perfect just yet... But I know these things take time!