Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pandora's Box

I have a confession to make... I'm a huge fan and hoarder of antique jewelry boxes - The jewelry can come or go but it's the boxes I must have!
Some of my favorites are European, such as the leather one from Berlin; however, the purple hued from Ohio is the closest to my heart - I'm a velvet girl. Another favorite is the leather ring box from Lynchburg, VA- So neat and tiny!
When I buy these, I always say "It's for display" but then I hide them in my office so that only I can see them... For what happens when someone asks the inevitable question "What would you take for this?" With that, I'd have to claim "Your first born child"! A "little" dramatic but you get the picture.
I have no idea what possessed me to collect these little gems... I just know that my heart sings whenever I find one. Recently, while shopping at Gresham Lake Antique Mall, I found a big stash for sale (as if someone was cleaning out their obsession). So many boxes, so little time. I must have bought at least 4 and went back to ponder over several more!
Another aspect of these boxes is their advertising appeal. What a great way to keep your store in someone's mind. Every time they open the box for that special piece of jewelry, they will remember you and your other merchandise. A valuable lesson for all retailers - The packaging and presentation can add significant face value to your product.

So, what makes your heart skip a beat? What collectible do you secretly (or not so secretly) hoard?