Thursday, September 25, 2008

Flappers and Philosophers


I am a big fan of anything 1920's - F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite authors... So, when I read my latest Kovel's, I found something worth pining over - A Flapper Cigarette Dispenser! What a grand thing!

The following excerpt is courtesy of Kovels on Antiques and Collectibles, Volume 35:
Flapper Cigarette Holder... (By the way, love Kovels- Recommend their free weekly updates and inexpensive monthly newsletter to any antiquer!)

Q: I bought this at a flea market. An elderly friend of mine told me that in the 1920s and ’30s these beautiful cigarette containers used to sit on bar tops. Can you tell me more about it?

A: Your flapper cigarette dispenser was made by Kindel & Graham about 1929. The inside of the dispenser can be filled with cigarettes. Then, when the button next to the flapper’s face is pushed down, a cigarette comes out of her mouth. Kindel & Graham was founded in San Francisco in 1909. It’s still in business, listed as a source for party supplies, balloons, carnival games and popcorn poppers, snow-cone makers, bubble machines, etc. Cigarette dispensers similar to yours have sold in the last two years for $120 to $365.

So -- I went to Ebay like a diligent sheep and found that indeed, they are selling for the latter. Since I can't justify spending $400 on a cigarette dispenser, I can only dream of finding one for a steal someday while hunting and gathering for my shop. If you are so inclined to learn more about these lovely ladies, find one here and here.