Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Winter at Longwood Gardens

When we think about winter, gardens don't necessarily come to mind; however, Longwood Gardens in PA begs to differ. They miraculously bring this bare season to life with a dazzling display of lights and colors. The conservatory is brimming with beautiful arrays of flowers - The outside is full of twinkling lights conveying thoughts of the holidays. I just wanted to share a little bit of my experience there and encourage you to take the journey to Longwood - I promise you won't regret it!
Interesting juxtaposition of bark and spikes - Yikes!
An example of one of the trees decorated solely with elementary school children's ornaments. This was my favorite design - The jellyfish motif was creative & colorful!
Another children's tree decorated with handmade woodland creatures.
Bonsai! Bonsai! (Think of Karate Kid's Mr. Miagi)! This is just one of the many varieties of Bonsai trees on display.
An orchid in the hothouse (images courtesy of my husband - He just got a new camera for Christmas)...
My VERY favorite plant - And the best part of our trip! The Old Man Cactus - How funny! They look like little old plant people. I laughed all the way through the rest of the conservatory (seriously- Ben had to tell me to be quiet!)
One of the lovely decorated trees on display.
The stunning front view of the conservatory entrance
The musical light and water show (a little cold for the festivity but pretty nonetheless).

As you can see, we really enjoyed our visit to Longwood. Truly a great place to spend New Years!

As promised, I haven't forgotten about sharing pictures of the craft I made with family. They are still in cyber limbo. Hopefully my sister will have a chance to convert them soon! (hint, hint if you're reading:))